Our tapes are mounted onto both sides of the roof ridge, generally on the first row of the roof tiles, under the ridge tile. The same applies to the hipped roofs. An additional stripe of tape should be applied below gaps in the roof, such as those created by dormers, flat roof windows and ventilation pipes. Copper covered dormers are an exception, as they do not generally require an additional stripe of tape. It is not advisable to apply either MOOSfree®115 or MOOSfree®170 on the ridge seat, so that MOOSfree® acts on both sides of the roof simultaneously as it considerably reduces its effectiveness. However, the perfect solution in this instance is to apply MOOSfree®30 tape directly to the ridge and then, MOOSfree®115 or MOOSfree®170 can be applied on the second or third row of tiles.
Please observe the following:
- MOOSfree® products should not be mounted above the bare zinc or titanium zinc gutters. They should be coated first, otherwise they could be destroyed through the pitting corrosion.
- None of our tapes should have any direct contact with base metals, such as aluminium. Using our range of tapes above components made of stainless steel or anodised aluminium is considered technically unobjectionable. Only the appearance of bare aluminium components may be affected.
- The surface must be clean (free of moss, grease and dust) and dry before mounting. The temperature at the time of mounting should not be lower than +5°C.
- Excessively porous surfaces should be treated with a primer before application.
- In order to speed up the cleaning process for surfaces affected with large amounts of moss, lichen and algae, a prior roof cleaning should be considered. In the initial phase of self-cleaning, gutters should be cleaned more often to remove the excess of removed moss and dirt.
1. Using scissors, cut approximately 2 cm of the middle layer of fleece out and the lower layer of knitted copper fabric at each end of the tape. (This applies to both MOOSfree®115 and MOOSfree®170 but is not needed when applying MOOSfree®30).
2. Remove both separating foils of the butyl tape back to about 40 to 50cm.
3. Align either MOOSfree®
115 or MOOSfree®
starting at the verge of the roof tiles and press on lightly with your hand. Remember never to place the tape under too much tension.
4. Roll over the whole length of the tape with a wallpaper roller (about 4.5cm wide) made of hard plastic so it sticks properly to the roof tiles.
5. Once the tape is mounted, Copper Completion Tape should be applied to the both ends of the tape or any joints of two tapes.
6. If you also wish to mount MOOSfree®30 to the ridge of your roof or any other suitable place, the same rules as in steps 1-5 apply.
7. The fully assembled system of the MOOSfree®115 (or MOOSfree®
170) and MOOSfree®30 tape.
8. If lightning protection system is in place, all layers of MOOSfree® tape, apart from the top one, have to be removed along the whole length from the roof ridge to the lightning conductor and connected to it (as seen on the picture) using special braces available on our website. The rest of the tape should be mounted as in steps 2-5.
Our range of tapes are packed in 5-meter rolls.